What our Bronx, NY, podiatrists can do for you
The pain you are feeling may be caused by the inflammation of a connective tissue, known as plantar fasciitis. This connective tissue isn't just in your heel though; it extends past the arch of your foot, reaching your toes. Your Bronx, NY, podiatrist, Dr. Barry Finkelstein, has the expertise to provide you and others with the necessary information to cope and treat heel pain.
More About Heel Pain
A very common cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis, though heel pain may also be a result of a stress fracture, tendonitis, arthritis, or nerve irritation.
Pain manifests itself in different parts of the foot worsening over months. The causes of pain vary from one person to another, however, some common factors include:
- Wearing improperly fitted or worn down footwear
- Being overweight
- Problems with foot arches (overly flat feet or high-arched feet)
- Injuries incurred during light or intense activities such as walking, running, excessive jumping, or jumping on hard surfaces
There are several methods of treatment, some more conservative than others:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Shoe modifications
- Stretching exercises
- An avoidance of going barefoot
- Limiting strenuous activities
If you still have pain after trying the above approaches, see your Bronx, NY, foot and ankle surgeon, who may take one of the following approaches:
- Padding and strapping, which is pads that softens the impact of walking when inserted in the shoe.
- Orthotic devices, which are custom devices that correct structural abnormalities.
- Injection therapy, which are corticosteroid injections that help reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- Night splint, which helps extend and stretch the plantar fascia while sleeping.
- Physical therapy, which exercises help provide relief.
- Radiofrequency: This minimally invasive treatment sends a radiofrequency current to the affected area, helping to relieve pain.
If you have any questions or concerns, please consult your Bronx, NY, podiatrist, Dr. Finkelstein by calling (718) 881-7990 today!