What your podiatrist in Bronx, New York wants you to know
Your feet take a beating, especially as you get older. Your feet can wear out from all the years of neglect and mistreatment. There are some things you should do to keep your feet in top shape as you age. Dr. Barry Finkelstein at NYNJ Foot and Ankle Associates wants to share how you can keep your feet feeling great.
Your body changes as you age, and your feet are no exception. As the years go by, your toe and ankle joints can stiffen, making them more prone to an injury. Your skin becomes thinner and dryer, which means you may suffer a blister or other skin problem more easily. Your arches begin to flatten out, making your foot wider and longer. All of these changes can lead to foot pain.
As you get older, you are at increased risk of:
- Diabetes, which can lead to ulcers and diabetic neuropathy
- Arthritis, which can lead to bone and joint destruction
- Bone spurs or plantar fasciitis, which can lead to heel pain
- Osteoporosis, which can lead to stress fractures
There are some simple things you can do to take care of your aging feet. Remember to:
- Examine your feet daily and check for any sores, ulcers, bruises or skin abnormalities
- Wash and dry your feet daily and apply a moisturizing lotion or cream
- Keep your toenails short and trimmed straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Apply an antifungal medication if necessary
- Wear moisture-wicking socks and supportive shoes
- Try not to go barefoot
- Keep your feet elevated to prevent swelling and improve circulation
If you have medical conditions like diabetes, osteoporosis or arthritis, you are at greater risk for serious foot problems. You should make it a habit to visit your podiatrist regularly. Geriatric foot care is just one of the many podiatry services available at NYNJ Foot and Ankle Associates. For a complete listing of services please visit the services page on the website at http://www.nynjfootandankle.com/services.html
Get some help for your aging feet by calling Dr. Barry Finkelstein at NYNJ Foot and Ankle Associates. Don’t neglect your feet, call today!