Looking for relief from a long-standing foot problem? At NYNJ Foot and Ankle Associates in Bronx, NY, your podiatrist, Dr. Barry Finkelstein, helps patients regain foot health, form, and function with innovative foot surgeries. From ingrown toenail removal to ankle replacement, Dr. Finkelstein is an expert in today's podiatric procedures, helping scores of people feel better.
When conservative treatments can't work
That's when you need foot surgery, according to the American Podiatric Medical Assocation (APMA). Shoe changes, splinting, physical therapy, and more help many children, teens, and adults regain podiatric health, without more invasive procedures.
However, sometimes surgery is warranted as revealed by your podiatrist in his Bronx, NY, office by careful visual exam, digital X-rays, MRIs, and computerized gait analysis. Then, less complex interventions support the operated foot and speed healing.
Times you may need foot surgery
There are many situations which require in-office or in-hospital surgery. They include:
- Ingrown toenail removal: This pertains to either the mechanical or chemical removal of a nail that has grown into the skin, relieving pain/infection and keeping the offending nail from growing back.
- Ankle stabilization or replacement: These in-hospital procedures help patients with repeated or severe ankle sprains and/or joint destruction due to arthritis.
- Tendon surgery: To repair, lengthen, or shorten connective tissue to relieve pain and increase function.
- Neuroma removal: This excises small, benign tumors typically between the third and fourth toes (Morton's Neuromas).
- Bunionectomy: To remove a painful, bony bump on the side of the foot at the base of the big toe. It also re-aligns the toe if needed.
- Hammertoe reconstruction: Wires or implants straighten these claw-like deformities and improve joint mobility.
- Corn and callus removal: These hardened areas of skin frequently appear on the little toe, ball of the foot or other areas of increased pressure or friction (as with bunions). They require excision in extreme cases
Your customized plan
If you need foot surgery, count on the team at NYNJ Foot and Ankle Associates to personalize your treatment plan for best foot form, function, mobility, and pain relief. Dr. Finkelstein is your go-to podiatrist in the Bronx, NY, area. Contact our office for a consultation on any podiatric issue: (718) 881-7990.